The certification is conducted by Cloudera and can be a masterstroke in boosting career in Big Data field. Every certification needs a proper study plan and a well-planned D-Day strategy. In this blog I am going to give idea how you can plan for the certification and clear it very easily. I cannot reveal exam question types since it is against the Cloudera policy. Let me give some overview about the exam first.
About the exam
There are other certification exam also offered by different vendors like Hortonworks etc. but in this blog I will focus on CCA175 Cloudera Spark and Hadoop developer offered by Cloudera. In the current scenario, Spark and Hive becomes the core of big data analytics. Every business solution provider is focusing on Spark and Hive to find the solution for client problem scenarios. CCA175 also revolves around Spark transformations and actions, Hive operations, Real time data ingestion and Sqoop import and export concepts along with handling compression and different file formats.
- No of Questions: 8-12 performance-based scenarios (hands-on) tasks on Cloudera Enterprise cluster.
- Questions based on: Spark transformations and actions, Spark RDD and dataframes, Sqprk SQL, Compression codecs, handling different file formats, Sqoop import and export, Hive concepts, Real time data ingestion.
- Time Limit: 120 minutes
- Passing Score: 70%
- Language: English
- Price: USD $295
[table id=2 /]
The above table specifies all the required skills suggested by Cloudera. It is better if you know all these but from my experience give more focus on Spark RDD, Saprk DF, Spark SQL, Hive, HDFS command line, Compression codec and handling different file formats.
Where to start
Here are the pre-requisites before you start your learning journey and also for practicing these technologies.
- Basic knowledge of any programming language. If you have scala or python background then it makes it much easier. It is true that exam scores are only based on scenario output file and you can use any technique to solve problem statements but it will save time if you solve in scala or python.
- Good Understanding of what data and database means. Some knowledge of SQL querying also helps.
- Finally, the most import aspect of this practical learning is to have an environment. It may take hours or days for you to build a hadoop environment with all these combination of technologies. Cloudera makes it easier for you by providing a quickstart VM that you can install on your machine. Please read the instructions carefully and watch some YouTube videos on how to setup the quickstart VM for your practice.
Get started with Prep plan
In my experience 5-6 weeks are enough to clear the certification if you spend 2-3 hours of time daily. If you can devote 6-7 hours, then 3-4 weeks are more than enough. This can also vary based on whether you are a newbie to big data or an experienced professional. If you are newbie, first start with Hadoop basic fundamentals, learn basic HDFS commands and be familiarize with Cloudera quickstart VM. After that you can follow this blog for certification purpose.
For preparation plan, Please follow below steps to get started:
- Motive should be gain knowledge. Try to gain knowledge first then go for certification.
- Follow a good study material or videos from where you can learn the concepts first. ITversity youtube videos can be a good source to start with.
- After you are good with your concept, Practice as many as scenarios as you can. PRACTICE IS THE KEY.
- Apply different logics in datasets or tables. Practice by framing questions from your own with the datasets available.
- Go to the required skills section and ensure that you are good with all topics.
- Follow a good source to practice for the exam where you can find good dummy questions.
- Make a good strategy before registering for exam.
- PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE till you get the confidence that I can handle any type of questions in exam.
- Ask a question to yourself – “Are you up to the challenge?”
- Don`t be nervous. Go with free mindset. Have a confidence on your hard work.
- Be mentally stable and prepared.
- Skip the problem question if you stuck somewhere. There are very easy questions too.
- Try to implement problem with different logic if one is not working.
- Practice with dataframe if you want but do not skip RDDs also. Sometimes a combinations of two can be very helpful.
Registering for exam
- Create account in Cloudera official webiste, then purchase certification exam (valid for 1 year) there you will give your card details.
- Next step is, goto examslocal and create account there with same email id you used for cloudera website.
- In examslocal search bar, you can give ‘CCA175’, & automatically recognizes your exam voucher & asks for slot booking.
- You can book at any available slot but it should be minimum 24 hrs difference from time of booking.
- On D-Day, Proctor will ask you for a valid ID. You can give the exam from anywhere but the place should be free. No one expect you will be there. Proctor will check the environment using webcam.
Evaluation, Scoring and Certification
- Each CCA question requires you to solve a particular scenario.
- You are not required to use the template and may solve the scenario using a language you prefer.
- Your exam is graded immediately upon submission and you are e-mailed a score report the same day as your exam. Your score report displays the problem number for each problem you attempted and a grade on that problem.
- If you pass the exam, you receive a second e-mail within a few days of your exam with your digital certificate as a PDF, your license number, a Linkedin profile update, and a link to download your CCA logos for use in your personal business collateral and social media profiles.