Continuing to the learning of vSphere 6.7 – Install, Configure, and Manage modules, we are going to cover below points in this blog.
Point to cover:-
- Verify hot-pluggable features
- Enable hot-pluggable feature for CPU and Memory
This blog will help you to enable hot-pluggable feature to cpu and memory. Lets know more about this feature. In simple term if you enable hot plug , you can add resources (CPU & Memory) while your virtual machine is running.
By default this is disabled. Lets verify the same.
1. Verify hot-pluggable features
Steps to verify hot-pluggable feature:
- Log in to your virtual center and select the virtual machine.
- Right click and go to edit setting.
- Check CPU and memory both are grayed out.
- Lets explore more, Select CPU and verify if CPU hot plug is enabled or not. In our case its not enabled.
- Same needs to be verify for memory, Even if you notice you notice you will not get option to enable it.
2. Enable hot-pluggable feature for CPU and Memory
Steps to Enable Hot-pluggable feature:
- To enable Hot Plug feature you need to power off your virtual machine.
- Right Click on virtual machine. Go to Power option and select power off. This is the lab hence we performed direct power off option. In production the best way is to gracefully shut down the virtual machine.
- Select Yes.
- Once virtual machine is down, right click on it and go to edit setting.
- Go to CPU and tick mark “Enable CPU Hot Add”.
- Now go to memory and tick mark enable “memory hot plug option”. Click “ok” to save configuration.
- Power On the virtual machine.
- Now lets verify if we get option to add CPU or memory while virtual machine is running.
- Note that CPU is no more grey out and you have option to increase it.
That’s all from this topic. Refer to next topics to explore more.
Thanks for visiting here. Share this article if you found it useful. Be sociable.