We were setting up our home lab for vSphere 6.7 environment and we are using Windows based Virtual Center.
VMware Virtualcenter failed firstboot. Failed to generate VirtualCenter symmetric encryption key.
- Operating System: Window Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition, Service Pack 1
- Database for Virtual Center – Using embedded Database(vPostgres) for VCDB
- vCenter Version – vCenter 6.7.0c
- vCenter Type – Windows based Virtual Center
We were using old ISO image for Windows 2008 R2 and did not update Windows patches.
It fails to generate symmetric encryption key because of missing security patches which was released last year for critical vulnerabilities such as WannaCry.
- Install Microsoft Security Updates MS17-010 and MS17-012 on Windows Server, and Reboot the server.
- Reinstall the vCenter Server. It should work.
Thanks for visiting here. Share this article if you found it useful. Be sociable.